Discover ways to make jambalaya the wholesome method with this recipe for Vegan Jambalaya with Crimson Beans and Okra, which is bursting with the flavors of Cajun delicacies. This wholesome and satisfying, budget-friendly recipe is a meal-in-one.
- 1 teaspoon further virgin olive oil
- 1 massive onion, diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium bell peppers (pink, orange, inexperienced, or yellow), diced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 cups (200 g) chopped contemporary or frozen okra
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon candy paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- Sizzling sauce, as desired (non-obligatory)
- 1 cup (200 g) raw short-grain brown rice
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (15-ounce) can pink beans (i.e., pinto beans, kidney beans, cranberry beans), with liquid (or 1 ¾ cups cooked, with 2∕3 cup water)
- 2 cups (474 ml) vegetable broth
- ½ cup (119 ml) water
- ¼ cup (15 g) chopped contemporary parsley (or 1 tablespoon dried parsley)
- Warmth the olive oil in a big skillet over medium warmth.
- Add the onions and cook dinner for five minutes.
- Add the garlic, bell peppers, carrots, celery, and okra and saute for an extra 5 minutes, stirring incessantly.
- Add cayenne, paprika, cumin, chili powder, celery salt, sizzling sauce (if desired), and rice, sauté for an extra 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, pink beans, broth, and water. Stir effectively. Convey to a boil, cut back the warmth to medium-low, cowl, and cook dinner for about 1 hour, till the rice is tender, stirring incessantly. Add further water as wanted to compensate for moisture misplaced to evaporation, however keep away from thinning the consistency an excessive amount of (it ought to be a thick stew-like consistency).
- Take away from the warmth and sprinkle with the parsley instantly earlier than serving.
- Makes 6 servings (about 1 1/2 cups every).
Variation: Substitute some other form of bean for the pink beans (similar to black beans, chickpeas, or heirloom varieties).
Instantaneous Pot Instructions: Comply with steps 1-5 utilizing the Sauté setting, based on producer’s instructions. Then press the Rice setting. Use the Fast Launch when cooking is completed.
Recipe tailored from Plant-Powered for Life: Eat Your Method to Lasting Well being with 52 Easy Steps and 125 Scrumptious Recipes, ©Sharon Palmer 2014. Reprinted with permission from the writer, The Experiment.
- Prep Time: quarter-hour
- Prepare dinner Time: 1 hour 12 minutes
- Class: Entree
- Delicacies: Cajun
- Serving Measurement: 1 ½ cups
- Energy: 280
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 424 mg
- Fats: 3 g
- Saturated Fats: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 56 g
- Fiber: 12 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 0 mg
Key phrases: jambalaya, vegan jambalaya