On the lookout for a wholesome snack concept for teenagers? Meet the Snack Platter: simple, enjoyable, and stuffed with nutritious stuff.
Thanks to Want Farms for sponsoring this submit. They’re a 4th technology household farm that produces berries together with Pink-a-Boo® Pineberries, the brand new blush-pink berries on the plate above.
As a dietitian, I get quite a lot of questions: Is sugar toxic? (No.) Ought to I am going on a kind of juice cleanses? (Additionally no.)
However one of the frequent questions I get is that this: What sorts of snacks ought to I feed my children?
My reply is that typical “enjoyable” snacks–all of the stuff marketed as snack meals like chips, cookies, and cheese crackers–are completely superb generally.
However more often than not, snacks ought to merely appear like the sort of meals you serve at mealtime, like fruits, greens, complete grains, meats, beans, cheese, and nuts.
As a result of if you happen to solely serve “enjoyable” snacks to your youngster at snack time, meals–with their boring ol’ common meals–are going to lose their attraction.
Fortunately, there’s a option to rework that meals into one thing particular: The Snack Platter.
What’s a snack platter?
I’ll allow you to in on a bit of secret: The snack platter is definitely simply meals. On a plate. But once I announce, “I made a snack platter!” my children are psyched.
In reality, a number of years in the past I overheard my son boasting to his associates, “My mother makes the BEST snack platters!”
Typically, all you want is a bit of re-branding.
Fundamental formulation for a snack platter
- A dip like hummus, nut butter, ranch dip, or guacamole
- Acquainted grains like crackers, pita, and pretzels
- Protein-rich meals like hard-boiled egg, cheese, rolled-up deli meat, edamame, or leftover roasted hen
- Veggies or fruits they already like, whether or not that’s child carrots or grapes
- Veggies and fruits which are much less acquainted or surprising, like these Pink-a-Boo® Pineberries proven beneath, that are a reasonably blush-pink when ripe (scroll right down to learn extra and see the place yow will discover them in your space)
The perks of a snack platter
- The number of meals signifies that your children will get a mixture of vitamins, like totally different nutritional vitamins and minerals.
- You may clear out the chances and ends out of your fridge and pantry, and a very random assortment of meals will look purposely fancy.
- Much less acquainted meals look much less intimidating alongside issues they already like, and veggies which may be a tough promote at mealtime look enjoyable and extra-appetizing.
- It doesn’t contain chopping something into enjoyable shapes or making a face on meals (although if that’s your factor, that’s cool too!).
- On a very hectic night time, a Snack Platter may turn out to be dinner.
How massive ought to your snack platter be?
your child and their urge for food greatest. Be sure you preserve snacks far sufficient away from dinner to construct an urge for food once more.
What must you use for a snack platter?
Only a common plate. Or use a small tray. You can too get away your “good” plates or a flowery serving dish to make it really feel extra particular. Collect smaller gadgets like cheese cubes or berries utilizing silicone muffin cups (right here’s the rectangle measurement I’ve).
One other snack concept for teenagers that’s nice for youthful ones: Fill the compartments of a muffin tin with meals.
About Pink-a-Boo® Pineberries
Pineberries are a cross between a Florida purple strawberry and a Japanese white strawberry, pale pink when ripe and dotted with purple seeds. They’re candy like strawberries with a touch of pineapple taste. That is the primary 12 months they’re extensively out there, so test the produce aisle (See the place yow will discover pineberries in your space). These would make a enjoyable shock on a snack platter!
Extra snack concepts