On most Wednesday evenings, I host two-way Zoom conversations with wherever between 70 and 100 people who find themselves members of my DrDavisInfiniteHealth.com Inside Circle. Conversations are vigorous and wide-ranging, as we speak about points as diverse as coronary calcium scores, NMR lipoproteins, blood sugar monitoring, and breath testing for hydrogen gasoline.
However our conversations are more and more centered round points related to the microbiome. The science surrounding microbiome points is booming, coming at us at lightning velocity and yielding thrilling new classes nearly day by day.
It’s turning into clear that the microbiome is an extremely fertile space for citizen scientists (as many within the Inside Circle are), because the instruments for exploration have change into so highly effective. Academics, enterprise folks, engineers, mothers, dads, grandparents—an ideal number of folks with totally different backgrounds are discovering simply how a lot energy they’ve over well being, functioning, and temper. We have now, for example, the power to propagate microbes of particular species and strains by way of yogurt and different meals to yield a whole bunch of billions of bacterial counts for larger organic impact, actigraphic gadgets resembling Apple Watch or Oura ring to make measures of sleep phases and coronary heart charge variability, the AIRE gadget to measure breath hydrogen and methane gases, fingerstick and steady glucose displays to trace blood sugar.
Among the many distinctive observations which were made by citizen scientists following my applications:
- The vast majority of folks making excessive bacterial rely “yogurt” with a mixture of strains of Lactobacillus gasseri, Lactobacillus reuteri, and Bacillus coagulans have transformed from H2-positive SIBO to H2-negative by AIRE breath testing with out using antibiotics.
- 20 non-diabetic folks ingested a “collaborative” consortium of probiotic microbes that had been recognized to vigorously metabolize sugars within the human GI tract, a mixture that included strains of Leuconostoc mesenteroides, Pediococcus acidilactici, Lactobacillus plantarum and some others. These folks lowered fasting blood glucose by a mean of 9.8 mg/dl, a magnitude of impact on a par with diabetes medication with not one of the side-effects. (They achieved this with a business probiotic referred to as Sugar Shift with in vitro-proven synergistic impact in consuming sugars within the GI tract. I’ve no relationship with the corporate, BiotiQuest, besides that the founders, Martha Carlin and Raul Cano, PhD, are pals of mine.)
- Many people now take pleasure in deep uninterrupted sleep with roughly 20% lengthening of REM intervals by way of actigraphy with varied strains of L reuteri and the ME-3 pressure of L fermentum. REM is the part of sleep that’s important for emotional and psychological well being.
- Individuals who have eradicated their SIBO (e.g., with “SIBO Yogurt’) report reductions in resting coronary heart charge and enhancements in measures of coronary heart charge variability, HRV, an necessary signal of improved total well being.
- By participating in a joint cartilage rebuilding program that mixes L reuteri (that stimulates chondrocyte manufacturing of joint lubrication) with collagen hydrolysates and hyaluronic acid—restoring a microbe and vitamins that you need to have been getting all alongside in case you ate like a hunter-gatherer—individuals are reporting reductions in arthritis joint ache.
Did you discover that we’re reaching results that aren’t almost-as-good-as what medical doctors and prescribed drugs obtain? We’re reaching results which are SUPERIOR to what medical doctors and prescribed drugs obtain. That is the brand new theme that I shall be pursuing: advocating well being practices which are superior to standard strategies, a lot of them involving purposeful administration of the microbiome.
That was one in every of my intentions in writing my new e-book, Tremendous Intestine: to empower citizen scientists in exploring all of the implausible issues we are able to now obtain by way of administration of our microbiomes.